We would be lost without our cars, we rely on them to get to work, see friends and family and go on holidays, but obviously owning a car comes with costs, things such as maintenance, Insurance fuel are all added extras that we must pay once we have bought a car.
With insurance and vehicle maintenance, you can shop around to try and get the best deal, with fuel most supermarkets and petrol stations usually charge around about the same bar a few pennies, but there are other things we can do to get the most out of the fuel we put in.
Each car comes with estimated miles per gallon from the manufacturer, but there are things you can do to try and improve this and get the most out of your miles!
- Use the correct fuel, when the original MPG is set by the manufacturer, they will be using a premium type of fuel. If you have the owner’s manual of your car, check what it says in there, it will recommend the best fuel type for your car for optimal performance.
- Keep your tyres inflated! If your tyres are not pumped up to the correct PSI (pounds per square inch) it can cause the car to drag due to the tyre slack.
- Accelerate slowly, over time flying off at speed at the traffic lights will burn fuel faster than if you were to accelerate more slowly.
- If your car does not have the start/stop function, try to limit stopping and going as much as you can, motorway driving uses less fuel than driving around town because there is less stopping and starting. If you can try and find a route that keeps you moving rather than stopping in traffic, junctions, and traffic lights.
- Brake more slowly, pushing hard on the accelerator, and braking hard on the brake pedal will very quickly burn fuel, try not to press hard on the brakes and allow the car to slow down naturally (if it is safe to do so) before braking.
- Use cruise control if your car has it when driving on motorways and for long stretches, this will ensure that the car is kept moving at its optimum pace, stopping the driver from continually speeding up and slowing down.
Just a few small changes can make all the difference to your fuel consumption. Using less fuel helps your pocket and the environment. Take a look at our online showroom https://www.motor-market.net/stock/used-cars-in-cradley-heath-west-midlands to see what vehicles we have available or speak to one of our friendly team on 01384 411119 who can help you find the most economical car to suit you and your budget.